The Swiss Club of SA was founded in 1966 and there are now over 1000 Swiss Australians in South Australia. We organise many events throughout the year like a big Fondue Night, the National Day Celebration and a 'Samichlaus-Picknick'.
Who we are:
- Recent migrants from Switzerland
- The children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren of Swiss migrants
- People who are interested in Swiss food, culture, and tradition!
Our Club Members include families of all ages, couples and singles - all are welcome to join us.
What we do:
- Eat, drink, and laugh together
- Share and learn about Swiss cuisine, culture, travel, literature, history, language, traditions, sports...Hop Schweiz!
- Promote respect for and understanding of Swiss heritage through our participation in community events
- Give back to the Adelaide community through charitable outreach programs
Whether it's eating lots of cheese at Fondue night, learning the art of Schlangabrot in the Kuitpo Forest, attending a Swiss Film screening, getting excited about the Samichlaus, helping out with the Swiss Radio.... there's always something fun going on.
Where we do it:
- At our Austrian Friends' Clubhouse (Australian Club of South Australia - Ovingham)
- At local South Australian parks
- At community events
While we don't have an official Clubhouse, our friends at the Austrian Club partner with us to host many of our functions there. Many of our activities take us out into the community - sometimes to learn, sometimes to teach and reach out.
Why we do it:
- To pass on our Swiss heritage to younger generations of Swiss-Australians
- To promote understanding of Swiss culture and the contributions of Swiss-Australians within the South Australian community
- Because it's just a whole lot of fun!